Glorifying the Lord - the wrong way?  

Posted by Tiffany

As Christians, we strive to bring honor and glory to our Lord. We want our entire lifetime to glorify Him and that lifetime starts with each new day. Whether we're spending time with friends and family, or doing mundane chores, or being studious in our studies we want God to be glorified in everything.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

So what happens when things just don't measure up to the world's standards? What happens when I get a C on a paper instead of an A? Does that mean I didn't glorify God enough or maybe there were steps I could have taken that would've have glorified Him more? Would getting an A on a paper, or doing the chores to perfection, or being an "angel" among friends and family mean that I'm glorifying God?


Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD. Psalm 105:3

Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD. Jeremiah 9:23-24

Seeking the Lord and understanding Him brings glory to our Savior. He delights in lovingkindness and righteousness. This brings glory to God. Which makes it an issue of the heart. If my heart is in the right place, then no matter what I do, I will bring glory to God. If I try getting an A just to please my parents or to show how good of a student I am, then what does that do but glorify myself? Or what if I did my chores to a tee, yet my attitude is wrong, then what kind of glory have I brought Him? Or what about when I do good things just to please others and be accepted, where's the glory that belongs to Lord in that?

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently. 1 Peter 1:22

A pure heart. That brings Christ glory. It's not the things in and of themselves that necessarily bring glory to God, nor is it how we do them (though that can play a part), but it's what our hearts and minds are doing while we do them. There is no such thing as glorifying God the wrong way - you either are or you aren't.

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24









This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

3 comments

Anonymous  

Awesome. Thought Provoking. Amen

Excellent post. I really enjoyed that and agree with everything you said.
If you're glorifying God in your heart it will show in your actions, no matter what you are doing.

Great post! Reminds me of Proverbs 16:1.

The preparations of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.The reality is that we can do our absolute best for Him and end up with a God-glorifying "F" on our assignment. The results are in His hands... the complete obedience is in ours. Having said this, the two generally go hand-in-hand. God generally blesses us with good grades when we do our best for Him; however, sometimes He blesses us with those not so good grades in order to keep us humble and dependent on Him.

Keep up the good work! Praying for you.